Noor van Hout is born and raised in The Netherlands, but currently living in Ghana since April 2012. Throughout her personal and professional development, she has gained a lot of working experience abroad, particularly in Africa.
She studied Social Work (BSc) and Pedagogy (MSc) at the University of Utrecht in The Netherlands. During her studies, she wrote her Bachelor Thesis in South-Africa where she did research on a project about Prevention Mother to Child’s Transmission (PMTCT) of HIV/Aids. It was there she fell in love with Africa and the people!
After her graduation, she went for the first time to Ghana in 2009. As an Educationalist and Behavioural Therapist, specialized in child development and disorders, she has supported and advised different non-profit organisations (children’s homes and schools) in Southern and West Africa in order to improve their quality of child care and education (2009-2013).
During the academic year of 2013/2014 she has worked as a School Counsellor (Learning Support) in an international (private) boarding school with students from Primary – Secondary level, in the Central Region of Ghana.
After gathering years of working experience in development projects, (pre-) schools and child care organisations, fostering quality care, support and education in Ghana, Southern Africa and The Netherlands, Noor felt the time had come to build further upon her dreams, vision and philosophy.
An independent initiative; Dreams in Africa Counselling and Consultancy, based in Ghana was born, whereby Noor offers professional services in (individual) child/ family support (parenting advice) and (pre/ primary) school/ teacher support.
Noor works independently or together with the support of professionals (international interns or volunteers), who have a suitable educational background and the heart and passion (a natural talent) for working with children and guiding them towards independency, as they are important role models. For more information about the possibilities of internships and volunteer work in Ghana, check the website: http://www.letsgoafrica.nl/en/programmas/lets-go-ghana/
Noor’s essential required qualifications, experience and skills:
- Qualified Educationalist and Behavioural Therapist, with more than 4 years of counselling experience in The Netherlands and in development countries (Botswana/Ghana).
- Possesses 3 years’ experience of coaching and training teachers in a development country.
- Experience in setting up and reviewing curriculums, teaching plans, reports of advice.
Noor’s personal qualities:
- Able to adapt to different work environments and situations.
- Able to work with different cultures and accept different norms.
- Able to analyse different work situations quickly and works demand-oriented.
- A self-starter who can work creatively on her own initiative.
- Confident and able to create positive professional relationships.
- Happy to travel for long periods to support different schools and people.
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Natural talented and empathic to children’s needs.
For more information about Noor’s professional background check her LinkedIn profile here.